PLEASE PLACE HOLIDAY ORDERS,
BOTH GROUND SHIPPING & IN-STORE PICKUP
BEFORE FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10th
Media Mail should should not be used if timely arrival is desired.
Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White (Paperback)
This website will display the millions of books available to order from us online. It does not necessarily represent the current inventory at our physical store. If you'd like to know if a particular title is on hand at our store, please contact us. Thank you!
A New York Times Bestseller
Winner of the Orbis Pictus Award
A People Magazine Best Children’s Book
A Washington Post Best Book
A Publishers Weekly Best Book
Boston Globe–Horn Book Nonfiction Award Honor recipient
Caldecott Honor winner Sweet mixes White’s personal letters, photos, and family ephemera with her own exquisite artwork to tell the story of this American literary icon. Readers young and old will be fascinated and inspired by the journalist, New Yorker contributor, and children’s book author who loved words his whole life. This authorized tribute, a New York Times bestseller, includes an afterword by Martha White, his granddaughter.
About the Author
Melissa Sweet is the Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator of many fine children’s books including Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White, winner of the NCTE Orbis Pictus award, Balloons Over Broadway, a Sibert winner, and The Right Word and A River of Words, both Caldecott Honors. Reviewers have described her unique mixed-media illustrations as “exuberant,” “outstanding,” and “a creative delight.” Melissa lives on the beautiful coast of Maine. In addition to writing and painting, she enjoys gardening, hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing. For more information about the author and her work, visit her online at melissasweet.net.
2018 Boston Globe-Horn Book Nonfiction Honor Award
Amazon Top 20 Children’s Books of 2016
Booklist Editors' Choice 2016
Book Links’ Lasting Connections 2016
Book Page Best of 2016
Bulletin Blue Ribbon 2016
Chicago Public Library’s Best of the Best Books of 2016
Horn Book Fanfare
Kirkus Best of 2016
Nerdy Book Club Nerdies 2016 Longform Nonfiction
New York Times Bestseller
People Best Children’s Books of 2016
Publishers Weekly Best of 2016
Raleigh News & Observer Best of 2016
San Francisco Chronicle Best of 2016
School Library Journal Best of 2016
Shelf Awareness Best Books of the Year
Nonfiction Detectives: Best of 2016
Washington Post Best of 2016
* "E. B. White is such a fixture in the children’s literature landscape that it’s hard to think of him as a regular person. Fortunately, Melissa Sweet comes to the rescue in this individual, creative, and thoroughly artistic chronicle of the noted writer’s life." —Bulletin, starred review
* "An excellent guide to the life of a celebrated writer." —Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Like Charlotte, Sweet spins a terrific story. A masterful biography." —Kirkus, starred review
"Melissa Sweet's beguiling biography of the author of Charlotte's Web deserves to be savored by anyone who has ever loved White's words."
"An E. B. White biography like no other." —BookPage
"Whether the name E. B. White is a new discovery or a much-loved author, Some Writer! will captivate readers of all ages."
—Christian Science Monitor
* "Drop everything and share widely." —School Library Journal, starred review
* "Sweet raises her collage skills to new heights while bringing her love and admiration for fellow Mainer E. B. White to the page for everyone to appreciate. Just as her astounding collages blend materials that might have been found in a barn in Maine, the text carefully blends her words with those of the beloved writer of children’s books... Sweet has written and drawn a fast-moving, thorough, deeply researched, and accessible biography." —Horn Book, starred review
* " This beautiful piece of bookmaking with enchanting artwork will easily draw in young readers, and the warm account of the adored author will keep them turning pages." —Booklist, starred review
"What elevates this book to the stratosphere is the art. Practically glowing, it turns a very fine biography into something original, creative, and marvelous." —NerdyBookClub.com